POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Low contrast/saturation using image maps : Low contrast/saturation using image maps Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Low contrast/saturation using image maps
From: Mike Sobers
Date: 28 Apr 2006 10:15:00
Message: <web.44522300198979c81009749b0@news.povray.org>
I've noticed that when I use an image map, the surface is usually very low
contrast and/or low saturation.  Is there some setting (i.e. specular -
I've tried turning specular off and it doesn't help) that has an effect
here?  How (aside from tweaking the image map) can I fix this?

The attached image shows the image map in the background and a rendering in
the foreground.  I've fixed this in the past for backgrounds by using
lightgroups and ambient = 1 for the background image map, but in this case
I need the object with the image map to interact with the light.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Code:

#declare mars_tex = texture {
pigment {
image_map {
  jpeg "mars_nasa_jpl.jpg" // the file to read
(iff/tga/gif/png/jpeg/tiff/sys)
  map_type 1        // 0=planar, 1=spherical, 2=cylindrical, 5=torus
  interpolate 2     // 0=none, 1=linear, 2=bilinear, 4=normalized distance
  once           // for no repetitive tiling
} // image_map
}
  finish {           // (---surface finish---)
    ambient 0.05
    specular 0.2     // shiny
    roughness 1/100
  }
}

light_source {
  0*x                 // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb <255, 255, 251>/255       // light's color
  area_light
  <10*Re, 0, 0> <0, 0, 10*Re> // lights spread out across this distance (x *
z)
  20, 20                // total number of lights in grid (4x*4z = 16
lights)
  adaptive 2          // 0,1,2,3...
  circular            // make the shape of the light circular
  orient              // orient light
  translate <5*Re, 10*Re, Re>   // <x y z> position of light
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mars.jpg' (28 KB)